PIERS MORGAN: Spare me Hollywood’s hypocritical horror over Harvey Weinstein – the same people, led by moralizing Meryl, gave a standing ovation to child rapist Polanski

Take his great friend Meryl Streep, for example; the woman who called Weinstein 'God' at an awards ceremony.

Streep, eventually, after four days of silence, described the revelations as 'disgraceful' and said they 'appalled those of us whose work he championed.'

Then she insisted: 'One thing can be clarified. Not everybody knew. I didn't know about these offenses. I did not know about his settlements with actresses and colleagues. I did not know about his having meetings in his hotel room, his bathroom, or other inappropriate, coercive acts.'

She ended by saying: 'The behavior is inexcusable, but the abuse of power familiar. Each brave word that is raised, heard and credited by our watchdog media will ultimately change the game.'

Fine words, but how exactly do they sit with Streep's public displays of support for another notorious Hollywood sex abuser – Roman Polanski?

In 2003, Polanski won Best Director at the Oscars for The Pianist.

When Harrison Ford announced his name, the audience – comprising all the great and good of the movie business - burst into prolonged loud clapping and cheering.

Leading the applause was Meryl Streep, who sprang to her feet to give Polanski a standing ovation.

It is worth reminding ourselves about why Polanski was not himself able to receive the award in person.

In March, 1977, the director was arrested and charged in Los Angeles with five offenses against Samantha Gailey, a 13-year-old girl: rape by use of drugs, perversion, sodomy, lewd and lascivious act upon a child under 14, and furnishing a controlled substance to a minor.

Polanski, then 43, did a deal with prosecutors in which he pled guilty to a charge of engaging in unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor.
He thought he was going to get off with probation, but then heard rumours he would more likely face lengthy imprisonment - so Polanski fled the country to France, hours before he was due to be sentenced.

He has never returned, and has avoided visiting any countries since that may extradite him back to the USA.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz4vEOAZMF8