Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: best combo lnb

pm angle 1.JPG

hi GAZA -

That is ok for adjustment of the - Declination - see diagram pic.dish arc philosophy.jpg
    There is usually some way of adjusting the Elevation angle (see pic ) i cant see this on your mount ? -- this needs to be first set according to your location -- for me here in the north west its just a touch over 54 degrees --- if you were in London for example , it would be 51.5 degrees . this is important for the mount to track the arc correctly . perhaps you have fixed it to the correct angle for your location, so no need for an adjuster?

regards C.C,
    Strong - SRT4375 + 1.8 Channel Master offset - Inverto twin c120 0.3 l.n.b.+ 2 BSC 421 C band l.n.b.s - tracking 53 East - 58 West - into Dr HD F15 -- Channel Master 1.2 into M3 Skybox + Spiderbox HD 9000 with EMP-Centaury 8 way Diseqc switch + fixed dishes + custom built hi fi system.

I am completely lost as to what you mean, I was under the impression, set the height, adjust sideways, to peak the signal, check that the outer extremes were hitting the arc and that was it.
    If I am understanding correctly even a little of what you are saying it is that there is a third measurement which must be set.
    When I set the dish, every sat i could see east to 13 was returning a quality in the 90s is there a chance I could have fluked this setting?.
    I thought declination was just the opposite way to elevation.
    From what you are saying I fear when I try for satellites on a wider arc, I will have problems.

Hi Gaza -
    Yes it looks and sounds like you might hopefully have "fluked " the elevation setting - l.o.l.

indeed on a typical polar mount (see pic for example) once you have the pole exactly vertical and the mount pointing due south in its central position -- there are 2 adjustments to make to make for it to track the arc perfectly -- firsty i would normally set the elevation angle (red line on the pic) and then the -- dish offset or declination angle as its called (blue line on pic)

the correct elevation angle setting is governed by your Latitude/location the further south you are the further tilted back that angle needs to be. (where are you located ?) once youv,e got this set ok ( i use a cheap digital angle finder for this ) and brought things into line with the declination adjuster - any further fine tuning if necessary, is minor.

as you said -- if the setting up is only just slightly out it wont be very noticeable on strong sats around the middle of the arc but would become more so as you get to the extremes

hope this explains things better than my last post :-)

regards c.c.

pm 3.JPG
    Last edited by chorleycat; 26th June 2015 at 20:47.
    Strong - SRT4375 + 1.8 Channel Master offset - Inverto twin c120 0.3 l.n.b.+ 2 BSC 421 C band l.n.b.s - tracking 53 East - 58 West - into Dr HD F15 -- Channel Master 1.2 into M3 Skybox + Spiderbox HD 9000 with EMP-Centaury 8 way Diseqc switch + fixed dishes + custom built hi fi system.

thanks chorleycat, got the gist of it now, will wait until a failure to find sat on the wider arc before making a cut in the frame, and inserting a bolt, as I have it clear in my head what needs to be done.
    If it needs to be done will run it past you before starting, if thats ok.
    Quick ?, noticed you have 1.2 as well as 1.8, can you pick up 55w with the 1.2?
    Thanks again for sharing your expertise.
    Last edited by GAZA12; 26th June 2015 at 23:52.

hi - Gaza -
    yes dont, rush to alter anything until you have fully tested on all the sats that you can reach with a bit of luck you may not need to :-)
    Indeed get back to me here if you are not sure of anything -- i,m always happy to help out if i can -- 15 years of - trial and error tinkering, in this hobby is my expertise - l.o.l.

i,m currently tinkering with a very old - large prime focus dish with a polar mount - and "it" has no declination adjuster - just an adjuster for the elevation - ( that,s the way its been originally made ? ) its been welded up with a fixed declination/offset - of 6 degrees difference from the elevation -- but just by chance - for me here at this location its tracking the arc just fine from 40 east to 40 west which is the maximum arc that i can see from where i have set up for testing :-)

you asked about the 1.2 c.m. and 55 west .... i cant see that far west with that dish .. a roof starts to get in the way from about 30 west .. so i cant check this for you right now .. it would be interesting to see if it was possible .. but i,v a feeling 1.2 would struggle with that one --- i will check the transponder signal strengths there, another night with the 1.8 - which will give me a good idea if its possible or not - i,v not looked at that sat for ages

regards C.C.
    Last edited by chorleycat; 27th June 2015 at 23:14.

Hi - Gaza -had a look at 55 west with the 1.8 -- there is a wide variation of transponder strengths on that sat- one or two may lock with 1.2 -- but the majority will need a 1.8 to receive - there were 1 or two i could not lock even with that dish --
    i must say that the majority of channels on that sat are encrypted ....
    cheers c.c.

thanks for info Chorleycat, will see if i can get anything on my 1.2, didn't want to go ahead without having reasonable assumption some may be possible as the dish is up high and not easy to change the lnb, but with your info I can now persevere until I find a transponder one.
    As regards the encryption powervu codes are freely available, if you are that way inclined.
    Last edited by GAZA12; 1st July 2015 at 22:11.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345